I try not to mix politics and blogging, but given what’s happening in our country lately, and who’s about to become president… yeah. I won’t go into my own feelings here, as this is a crafting blog, not a “rant about politics” blog. However, I found a project where crafting and politics collide (thanks to my friends Josie and Kasi) – The Pussyhat Project.
Long story short: The Pussyhat Project aims to create hats that not only help keep protesters at the Women’s March on Washington warm, but also to make a visual statement to make those marching on Washington, D.C. in support of women’s rights in light of all that’s been spewed out during this past election cycle. I’m going to try and crank out as many pink cat-eared hats as I can over the next week, and as I started crafting my first one, I ended up making a crochet pattern on the fly that might help others interested in making some pussyhats of their own.
The Crafty Nerd’s Crochet Pussyhat Pattern
What you’ll need:
- an H hook
- pink, worsted-weight yarn, any shade of pink will do
- Foundation: Chain 40.
- Row 1: Double crochet in fourth chain from hook and the rest of the row.
- Row 2: Chain 3 (This will count as a dc in this and every future row). *Front post double crochet in next stitch, double crochet in following stitch*, repeat to last stitch, end with a double crochet in last stitch.
- Row 3: Chain 3. *Back post double crochet in next stitch, double crochet following stitch*, repeat to last stitch, end with a double-crochet in last stitch. Back-post dc will be done around the front-post dc from previous row.
- Row 4: Repeat row 2. Front post dc will be done around back post dc from previous row.
- Row 5: Double crochet entire row.
- Repeat Row 5 until hat fabric is about 16 inches long. (24-25 rows of double crochet)
- Repeat rows 2, 3 and 4 to create the ribbing on the other end of the hat.
- Fold fabric in half, sew or single crochet side seams together, and wear with pride, or mail off to the Pussyhat Project.
Are you selling these hats and how much? Thank you