Well, it had to happen at some point – I’m home sick, due to various health issues I won’t get into too much here (let’s just say some PCOS-related issues, as well as a sore throat, and leave it at that). So, I’m having an honest-to-goodness sick day – not a “work at home” day, not a “oh I feel icky but I’m still going to go to work” day. I think the last time I’ve had a sick day was back in September, when I had bronchitis… Anyway, I’m spending this sick day cooped up on the couch, doing all sorts of relaxing, low-energy things.
So, what happens if you’ve got a sick day of your own? What kind of stuff could you do?
- Catch up on TV shows you’ve always wanted to watch but never got around to. (Or rewatch some old favorites!) Some of my suggestions for the nerdy/geeky crowd, especially those with Netflix, include Merlin, The IT Crowd, Torchwood, Farscape, and the classic episodes of Doctor Who! (I highly recommend the Tom Baker episodes.) I’ve been doing a fair share of that today – I’ve watched so many episodes of 30 Rock today it’s ridiculous. It’s not especially nerdy, I know, but it’s hilarious. And Jack McBrayer makes me giggle, especially considering every time he talks, I keep picturing Felix from Wreck-It Ralph saying his lines.
- Go through your pile of unfinished crafts and see what you can do from bed/flopped on the couch/curled up under piles of blankets someplace warm. Crocheting and knitting are especially low-energy, and if you’re working on a blanket, that’s a plus! It’ll help you keep warm.
- Drink some tea! Tea always makes things better.
- Play some old video games! Dig out that old Super Nintendo or PlayStation and play some old favorites. I might be hooking up my SNES and playing Street Fighter later. Or Super Mario Kart.
- Maybe build a puzzle? I have a Sailor Moon one that’s been sitting under my coffee table for entirely too long…
- Read a book! Books are perfect companions for long days in bed. Some of my suggestions include any of the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris (quick and easy reads!), any of the Black Jewels novels by Anne Bishop (very gripping stories!), or Stephen King’s Under The Dome. And those are only the books I can think of right now!
- Or you can do what I did, and take ridiculous pictures of your husband!
Bryan made a new friend today, hahaha.
What kind of stuff do you do with your sick days? Tell me in the comments!
I was once caught blogging on a sick day when I couldn’t move from my bed. It wasn’t so much that I’d had the energy to update, more that I’d said I’d used the time to call the bank before I called my boss.
But if I ever had the misfortune to be so unwell again, I’d definitely catch up with The IT Crowd. I recently found S1, S2 and S4 in a sale, but I’m reluctant to pay full price for S3. I haven’t yet ventured into the world of Netflix.
I also have a 1,000–piece jigsaw to complete. It’s difficult because there are large patches of sky painted the same colour.
I’ve actually spent the entire day on the couch, watching unhealthy amounts of 30 Rock and crocheting. I do feel better now than I did this morning – which is very good, considering how I was dizzy and headachy this morning.